Monday, 3 November 2014

Madrid Monday: Dealz brings Poundland to Madrid





In my office, the working day begins with a hot beverage: coffee for the Spaniards, tea for the expats (and the occasional cultural crossover). It was over my morning cuppa last week that I was sounded out on my feelings for cheap UK chainstore Poundland. When I confessed to being partial to its bargain branded goods, my friend could barely contain her excitement: the first Madrid branch of Dealz, the Spanish name for Poundland, was opening that day. And even better, it was within walking distance of our office (and my house).

Every expat has their foibles, their must-have goods that they scramble to stock up on every time they fly back home. Mine are Twining's Earl Grey, Batiste Blonde Dry Shampoo and Dettol Antibacterial Spray. Yes, really. So imagine my reaction when, after our 'power-walk to Poundland' (OK, Dealz), I found a shelf bursting with bottles of my favourite cleaning product. I actually jumped in the air. Even better, like everything else in the store, it was only €1.50.

Dear friends, you will no longer be asked to bring this over in your cases

Dealz opened on 30 October at 192 Bravo Murillo, near Metro Estrecho. On opening day, it was packed with shoppers stuffing their cestas with cut-price goods, many of them from brands more commonly available in the UK than Spain. It wasn't just the price that excited us expats, it was the fact we could easily stock up on Cadbury's chocolate, Kellogg's cereal, Nairn's oatcakes, Discos, Quavers, Heinz Baked Beans, Johnson & Johnson branded shampoos and shower gels, Jane Asher bakeware and more. Dealz sells a whole host of everyday essentials, from food to toiletries to cleaning products to kitchenware. It's also a great place to stock up on Christmas cards and decorations (we didn't spot any crackers, but we're hopeful some will pop up by December). Everything is €1.50, which is a little more pricey than £1 in the UK, but we can't really complain given the import costs.






So if you need to stock up on some bargain UK goods, you know where to go. There are just three Dealz stores in Spain at the moment, with the others in more obvious expat hotspots of Alicante and Torremolinos. The expats around Estrecho aren't usually from the UK (excluding my good self), but they were almost excited as us to stock up on cheap everyday products. Although I didn't see anyone else racing around the store shouting out brand names.

With ten more stores set to open within a year (according to this El Pais article), Dealz isn't just set to satisfy my need for antibacterial spray, it will also create more than 500 jobs. Everyone's a winner.


From now on, new Madrid Monday posts will be published fortnightly (first and third week of every month).

5 comments :

  1. I saw something about this posted on Facebook, but it's nice to have a write-up, not to mention photographic evidence of Dettol Antibacterial Spray! I cannot wait to go that check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Briona! We Brits got unbelievably excited by what was on offer so thought I would share it here. Glad someone else seems to share my feelings about Dettoll! I would go armed with plenty of carrier bags...

      Delete
  2. Sounds great! I may be sending you a shopping list if you come down to Seville (Discos!!!) although I heard that a Tesco has opened here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? I didn't know Tesco were moving into Spain. I'd be happy to stock up for you!

      Delete
  3. I think my source of information was wrong (two pijitos on the plane). It's Cosco not Tesco that has opening in Seville!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...