Wednesday, 11 January 2012

2012 travel dreams

I'm the kind of girl who likes to use her annual leave for something special. No duvet days for me: it's all about trips. So, where will my days off take me this year?

Since expanding my travel horizons into Asia in 2010, I've been keen to explore places I consider 'different'. Much as I love Europe, I feel that now is the time to travel to exotic, further-flung destinations far removed from my home country not just by distance, but by culture and lifestyle. 2011 took me to Marrakech, and 2012 will see me visit Istanbul, another city I've longed to experience for years. The flights are booked, and I can't wait to wander around the Blue Mosque in awe; to take a ferry across the Bosphorus, crossing the divide between Europe and Asia by boat; to indulge in plenty of Turkish cuisine.

But this month's Across the Café Table discussion is about travel dreams for the year ahead. Istanbul may still be a dream, but in a few weeks it will become a reality. South America, on the other hand, remains very much an idea; a treasured plan I'm working on with the help of the guidebook which arrived on my doorstep yesterday. And that, for me, is the first step to making this dream come true, too.

My love of the Spanish language means that South America is a natural choice of destination for me, yet the costly airfare and time required to visit enough to do it justice have thus far kept me away. I hope that this will be the year I get to see the waterfalls at Iguazu on the border between Brazil and Argentina...

Iguazu

... explore cosmopolitan Buenos Aires...

Buenos Aires
... and marvel at Chile's Lake District.

Chile's Lake District

Hopefully 2012 will be the year I get to do so! What are your travel dreams for 2012? Where would you like to visit that you've never been before? Head on over to The Travel Belles and share your thoughts.


All photos from Flickr Creative Commons.
Iguazu: santiago_richard
Buenos Aires: ClixYou
Chile: Phillie Casablanca

4 comments :

  1. Kate, Istanbul sounds wonderful. I'd love to experience the East-meets-West culture there someday, too. I'm also dreaming of Latin America and hope to make it there soon. Good luck with your travel plans for 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen both Istanbul and Marrakech, and loved them both! I long to visit Argentina, but I'm not sure that'll happen in 2012. If you make it to Chile, try to see the Atacama Desert in the north. It's stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited you get to go to Istanbul!! One day I WILL go there. I keep hearing the most wonderful things. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
    Flights to Dar es Salaam

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...